Tips and Tricks
Lawn Care, Landscaping, Gardening – Tips and Tricks
- The best way to determine if you need to dethatch is to remove a small plug from the lawn and measure to see if the thatch layer is longer than 1″. If it is, then you better get started dethatching, your lawn is suffering.
- If you dethatch just prior to the grass’s prime growing season, your lawn should recover rather quickly
- Fertilizing provides the nutrients for a healthy, thick lawn that out-competes weeds
- It is best to combine fertilization with aeration for maximum effectiveness
- An application of lime in the fall also increases the effectiveness of fertilizer the following spring
- Keep your mower blades sharp. Dull blades tear the grass, contribute to poor lawn health and leave the lawn looking “yellow or brown”.
- Leave your lawn at least 3” in height, or even longer during hot dry weather.
- Don’t trim too short close to stone retaining walls in hot weather, the stone robs the ground of moisture and holds heat. This is not good for the grass.
- Applying a good thick coat of mulch to your gardens keeps weeds down and holds moisture for your plants.
- Leaving the grass clippings on your lawn provides nutrients to your lawn and is beneficial to its health.
- Watering your lawn early or late in the day reduces the amount of evaporation that takes place during the very hot day, allowing more water to reach the root zone.
General Lawn Care and Bed Clean-up’sCleanup of lawn and gardens to prepare for another growing season or prepare for winter and ensure that your property looks it's best so you can enjoy it. Committing a few hours in the spring and fall to lawn care will...
Hedges Trimming - Lawns & Beyond takes pride in your property's appearance. Regular maintenance on hedges and trees will keep them in optimal condition. Overgrown hedges look terrible and usually result in the plants having to be removed or replaced...
Weed ControlA healthy lawn that is properly cared for (aerated, de-thatched, fertilized and limed, mowed regularly at the proper height) will thrive and not give weeds a chance to flourish. If you are having a problem with weeds, we have various solutions...
Fertilizing your lawnFertilizing is important to overall grass health and is a very effective way to prevent weeds. Fertilizing provides the nutrients for a healthy, thick lawn that out-competes weeds. We use premium slow release fertilizers that are much...
Aeration is the process of removing plugs of soil from your lawn.Ever wondered how groundskeepers keep the golf course grass so healthy and lush?One of their secrets is aeration. Aerating does several things that are beneficial to your grass. It improves...